Old house New House Old House New House: Guest Room Redo part 1

Tuesday 20 September 2011

Guest Room Redo part 1

This is our guest room, what do you think? Do you want to come and stay?



Come on, broken dresser, peachy beige walls, institution style light fixture,no area rug, no art work. Did I mention the dogs like to catch some shut eye on this bed? No wonder our guests don't stay long!
This room is my first room make over in my new house. The furniture is old,
My mom bought me the dresser (it also has a make up table that I still use in another room)when I was 15, and it was old then! The bed (it is a double) was bought 3 years later when my mom was scouting at a 2nd hand store, it was a perfect match to my dresser and makeup table! However the years have not been kind to this old suite. The chest of drawers has been repaired 2x but still the drawers stick and sort of fall into the dresser making them almost impossible to open. The bed is still super sturdy but needs a face lift.
What would you do if this was your room? Here it is again:
Photobucket
The light fixture is going bye-bye. The ill fitted dark blind is going to be relocated to another room. I believe in recycling! The bed I want to keep because I've had it forever, and I still love it.
Here is what I want to do:

Paint the bed cream, and ruff up the edges. I want to take it from shabby, to shabby chic. This is something I have never done before, so it will be an experiment!

Replace the chest of drawers, they are tired and need a lot of work, plus I don`t want everything to match. I would like to find something vintage that I could paint black, and put some nice crystal knobs on. If i am unable to find a vintage or antique dresser, Ikea has a nice one for under $200.00 that would lend it`s self nicely to this project.

I have 3 old metal lockers I scored for free (thank you dad) that I would like to incorporate into this space.

As far as curtains, bedding, night stands and lamps go I am uncertain. Any ideas would be most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your thoughts, leave please leave comment.